Hello Everybody !

I want this to be a place where creative folks can come and express ideas, talk about art, music, photography, writing, books, magazines, ghostly encounters, history, events of importance to creative minds, and just have fun. I also hope to share adventures and stories along the way. If you would like to be a guest or if you have an event that you would like to share please email me at lindajburns@gmail.com


Monday, August 19, 2013

I'd Rather Be Sailing

Aboard the True North IV in Cozumel, Mexico
 
This was one of the best days of my life. I was on a cruise from  the Cayman Islands to Mexico and took an excursion for a sailing regatta. Turns out the ships we were racing turned out to be a former America's Cup of Dennis Conner fame from years back and a Canadian ship the True North IV.
 
All deck hands were vacationing souls led by a hearty crew of sea loving sailors. The place was Cozumel, Mexico on a bright , shiny afternoon. All the crew were assigned tasks and each was given a crash course on what to do. Then we set sail.
 
The course was set for a 12 meter regatta. Ships had been chosen by a coin toss and off we went. Nothing on this Earth can compare to the feeling of flying over the deep turquoise ocean as fast as a ship can go with the wind in your face and your hair blowing out behind you.. All worries and cares drift away and you are one with the water. Dips and turns so far over one could almost dip a hand into the water if the hands were not so busy grinding and listening to commands. Tags and more tags and what was a short race felt like time standing still. Strangers bound forever by an experience like no other. Then at last America's Cup dipped in front of us to take the race.
 
But everyone here was a winner. No losers were had this day.
 
I will keep this feeling in my heart forever and if I am very lucky perhaps I might get a second chance to feel the sea flying underneath me and feel that perfect peace. It may sound silly to some, but I became a forever sailor this day.
 
 

 © Joyce (Tidwell) Burns, ChynaMoon Creations, Chyna Moon Press,  1997-2013


No comments:

Post a Comment