Hello Everybody !

I want this to be a place where creative folks can come and express ideas, talk about art, music, photography, writing, books, magazines, ghostly encounters, history, events of importance to creative minds, and just have fun. I also hope to share adventures and stories along the way. If you would like to be a guest or if you have an event that you would like to share please email me at lindajburns@gmail.com


Thursday, August 18, 2011

You Can't Make Me Fit in a Box!!!

Hello world! A new adventure begins.

While thinking about my virgin post here I considered many things. So many topics I hope to discuss, friends I hope to meet, debates I hope will challenge my grey matter, other opinions to make me think, and so much more. I love creative people and hope to meet many here.

Today what is on my mind is the journey I just completed with the publishing of my poetry book, Life in the Pond. It's been out for a year on the 20th of this month, self-published (did I just say a dirty word)? I actually had the opportunity to go with conventional publishing. It was a difficult decision, but I turned them down. The contract was limiting, they wanted my rights tied up for a period of time, I was basically not going to make much money since I was unknown, and on top of that, it was poetry (another dirty word)!

Agents don't want to touch an unknown poet. Poets, like cats, are independent and don't fit into a box. Unless you are a best selling author of other genres, a successful poetry book is an underdog, however it is published. Add the words self-published to your book and it will just about kill it.

I'll admit whether SP or conventional, there are some very bad poetry books out there, but also some very bad regular books. Just because a book is self-published doesn't automatically mean it is bad. Give the good ones a chance. Keep your arrogant opinions to yourself until you actually read a book. Then you can judge your heart out.

Like everything else, most times it's who you know, how much money you can throw around, what you are willing to do to have a best seller, or another option, old fashioned hard work! So market, market, market, but smart market.

I was about ready to throw in the towel earlier this week until I ran across self-published author, John Locke. He was like a breath of fresh air. You may like or not like his books but you have to admire his spunk. He sold one million e-books in five months! Wonder what conventional publishers have to say about that? He writes what he thinks and feels and doesn't care if every single word or grammer phase is perfect. That's not to say he doesn't make everyone as perfect as possible, but truth is NO PUBLISHED BOOK IS PERFECT! Doesn't exist. You will find errors in any book you pick up if you are savy enough to catch them.

So you don't get me to quit this round. Thank you John Locke for you amazing words.
Hope you sell a million more. Hopefully when I get my path figured out, I will follow you to the Amazon club! Keep writing everyone. It is good for the heart and soul. And don't let ANYONE put you in their box.


© Joyce (Tidwell) Burns, ChynaMoon Creations 1997-2011

1 comment: